The list of kit to take on a Day Walk in the UK is limitless and if you took on board the kit advice of every outdoor professional you would end up taking an expedition rucksack every-time you popped up the Old Man of Coniston. The phrase 'Always be Prepared' can be taken too far. Below we've written out a short kit list of essentials and recommended items for a Day Walk in the UK hills and mountains. Please click here for our printable Kit List
- Waterproof, Breathable Jacket
- Lightweight Fleece
- Baselayer Top
- Spare Fleece or insulated layer
- Hiking Trousers
- Waterproof Trousers
- Baselayer Trousers (For cold weather)
- Walking Boots or Sturdy Walking Shoes
- Hiking Socks
- Daysack - 20 - 35 Litre (Depending on how packable your equipment is)
- Water Bottle - a 1 Litre minimum is a good rule, take more water in hot weather and on longer walks.
- Food - Take high energy food that easy to eat. Take and extra chocolate bar or similar in-case the walk takes longer than expected.
- Safety Whistle
- Survival Bag or foil Emergency blanket
- Mobile Phone
- Waterproof Dry Bag or tough plastic bag.
- First Aid Kit (Among Group)
- OS map of walk and surrounding area
- Map Case
- Navigation compass with baseplate and orientating lines.
- Head torch and spare batteries- If your walk takes longer than you think this is essential for map reading at night.
- Spare pair of socks
- Spare boot laces
- Group Shelter
- Sit Mat
- Hydration Bladder